Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP):

The ODSP “may allow for increased limits and flexibility for your assets and income to help you and your family save for or buy approved disability-related items and services.”

Step 1: Check Eligibility & Apply

You may be eligible for the Ontario Disability Support Program if you meet the following criteria:

  • Parent/guardian must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Parent/guardian must live in Ontario.
  • Financial situation deemed eligible.
  • Disability status deemed eligible.

You can check your eligibility and apply at an ODSP office. Find office locations at: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/odsp/contacts/index.aspx

Step 2: Appointment with Case Worker

After submitting your information, you will need to go into a local office for an appointment. A caseworker will call you within 3 business days to confirm that your online information has been received, to arrange the appointment and to tell you what you need to bring with you. If you do not have a phone number, you will need to call your local office to arrange an appointment instead.

During the appointment they will verify any information you sent in online. Ensure you bring your spouse (if applicable) and any children 18 years or older to the appointment.


Ontario Works:

Funding through Ontario Works is discretionary and usually comes in the form of partial coverage.

Step 1: Eligibility

  • Parent/guardian must live in Ontario.
  • Parent/guardian must need money right away to help pay for food and shelter.
  • Parent/guardian must be willing to take part in activities that will help you find a job.

Step 2: Application

To find out how to apply for coverage under Ontario Works, click here.


Special Services at Home

The Special Services at Home program helps families who are caring for a child with a developmental or physical disability. It is funded and managed by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

The program helps families pay for special services in or outside the family home as long as the child is not receiving support from a residential program. For example, the family can hire someone to:

  • help the child learn new skills and abilities, such as improving their communications skills and becoming more independent
  • provide respite support to the family - families can get money to pay for services that will give them a break, or respite, from the day-to-day care of their child.

The amount of funding a family receives depends on:

  • the type and amount of service the child needs
  • what other help is available in the community
  • what kind of support the family is already receiving.


Families can apply for this support if their children have a developmental or physical disability:

  • live in Ontario; and,
  • need more support than most families can provide


  • are living at home with their family, or
  • if they are not living at home with their family and are not being helped by other residential services

How to apply

The program is funded and managed by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

  1. Download and complete an application form: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/006-1915~1/$File/1915.pdf
  2. Attach a medical statement or psychological assessment to your application. It should describe the disability and explain why you need the services and how much it will cost.
  3. Mail the completed application form and the medical assessment to your nearest regional office: http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs/English/about/regionaloffices.aspx

Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD)

The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) program provides financial assistance to parents to help with extraordinary cost related to their child's severe disability. It is a direct funding program for low and moderate income families.

Who Can Apply?

Parents, family members, legal guardians and individuals 16 of years of age and over may apply.

Who is eligible

  • Resident of Ontario
  • Children under the age of 18
  • Children who have a severe disability which results in a functional loss
  • Live at home with their families (or legal guardian)
  • Have extraordinary costs which are incurred directly as a result of the disability (transportation to medical appointments or to a special program(s)related to the child's special needs; parental relief; learning and developmental equipment, medical supplies, etc.)

What are extraordinary costs?

  • Transportation to and from medical appointments
  • Specialized Clothing
  • Trained Caregivers
  • Caregiver Respite
  • Specialized learning and development equipment
  • Social Opportunities

What is included in the benefit?

  • The amount of financial assistance is determined based on your yearly extraordinary expenses and your gross family income. Minimum monthly payment is no less than $25 per month and no more than $455.00 per month.
  • A drug card (includes prescriptions drugs)
  • A Dental card (basic coverage)
  • Vision and Hearing Services
  • Items related to vision and hearing services
  • The consumer contribution for an Assistive Device under the Assistive Devices Program (provided through the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care)
  • The cost of an assessment for an assistive device and the cost of batteries and repairs necessary for mobility devices

How do I apply?

  • You can apply by filling out an application on your own or with the assistance of an agency or professional. An application and expense report can be obtained through your local Regional Office.
  • You will need the following information in order to determine eligibility for this program:
  • An application form - signed
  • A completed Expense Report
  • A medical statement or psychological assessment clearing confirming the diagnosis of your family member's disability
  • Income Verification
  • Verification of Birth for the qualifying child
  • A copy of the child's health card
  • Fill in the application form and return it to the nearest office of the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS) and the Ministry of Children's Services (MCS). Offices in our area are listed on the back page. You can call MCSS/MCS if you need help to fill out the application form.
  • A worker, called a "Special Agreements Officer" from MCSS/MCS will arrange a home interview to verify your income and costs. You will need written proof of your child's disability from the (medical) doctor(s).

To Apply select your Regional office: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/odsp/contacts/

Muskoka Resident apply to: Ministry of Community and Social Services Ontario Disability Support Program Income and Employment Supports 50 Ball's Drive, Suite 1 Bracebridge ON P1L 1T1 General Inquiry: (705) 645-8718 Toll Free: 1-800-665-9718 TTY: (705) 645-7904 Fax: (705) 645-7568

Ontario Charities:






Continue shopping
Your Order

You have no items in your cart